Planning and Zoning
The Planning Board of the Town of Weddington reviews subdivision plats and changes to the Town's Ordinances and makes recommendations to the Town Council for actions on these items. The Board is comprised of 7 members, all citizens of Weddington, and meets on the fourth Monday of the month at Town Hall at 7:00 p.m. Agendas and minutes of the meetings are available for viewing on the website.
The Weddington Board of Adjustment hears requests for variances to setbacks and appeals of decisions by the Town's Zoning Administrator. The Board's members are the same as the Planning Board, five are regular members and two serve as alternates. This Board meets as needed at the Town Hall.
Historic Preservation Commission
Town Planning Board Members also serve on the Weddington Historic Preservation Commission. The Historic Preservation Commission is authorized and empowered to undertake such actions reasonably necessary to the discharge and conduct of its duties and responsibilities as outlined in this article:
(1) Undertake an inventory of properties of historical, prehistoric, architectural, and/or cultural significance.
(2) Recommend to the town council, areas to be designated by ordinance as "historic districts," and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas or objects to be designated by ordinance as "landmarks."
(3) Acquire by any lawful means the fee or any lesser included interest, including options to purchase, to properties within established districts or to any such properties designated as landmarks, to hold, manage, preserve, restore and improve the same, and to exchange or dispose of the property by public or private sale, lease or otherwise, subject to covenants or other legally binding restriction which will secure appropriate rights of public access and promote the preservation of the property.
(4) Restore, preserve and operate historic properties.
(5) Recommend to the council that designation of any area as a historic district or part thereof, or designation of any building, structure, site, area or object as a landmark, be revoked, or removed for cause.
(6) Conduct an educational program with respect to historic properties and districts within its jurisdiction.
(7) Cooperate with the state, federal and local governments in pursuant of the purposes of this article. The historic preservation commission, when authorized by the town council, may contract with the state or with the United States of America, or any agency of either, or with any other organization, provided the terms are not inconsistent with state or federal law.
(8) Enter, solely in performance of its official duties and only at reasonable times, upon private lands for examination or survey thereof. However, no member, employee or agent of the historic preservation commission may enter any private building or structure without the express consent of the owner or occupant thereof.
(9) Prepare and recommend the official adoption of a preservation element as part of the comprehensive plan of the town.
(10) Review and act upon proposals for alterations, demolitions, or new construction within historic districts, or for the alteration or demolition of designated landmarks, pursuant to this article.
(11) Negotiate at any time with the owner of a building, structure, site, area, or object for its acquisition or its preservation, when such action is reasonably necessary or appropriate.
(12) Accept funds granted to the historic preservation commission for preservation purposes from private individuals and organizations.
(13) Organize itself and conduct its business.
(14) Any other powers as allowed by law.
Meetings are held the 4th Monday of the first month of every quarter after the regularly scheduled Planning Board Meeting which begins at 7:00 p.m.
Public Safety Advisory Board
The Public Safety Committee serves to consider public safety issues concerning Weddington and its citizens. These issues include, but are not limited to, fire protection, emergency medical services, law enforcement, and transportation. The Committee may make recommendations to the Town Council. The Committee shall also act to disseminate and improve communications on public safety issues.
The meetings are held the first Tuesday of the Month at 4:00 pm at Town Hall
PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY BOARD
Marcos Bilbao, Chairman (Fire)
Mike Maxson (Deputies)
Kimberly Crooks Vice-Chairman (EMS)
Gordon Wilson (NCDOT)